Italian Language/fallo pure

Question
Dear Lauren,

I’m having a bit of a hard time completely understanding the use of “fallo pure”.

Can you please tell me if  “fallo pure” is used to refer to “one” thing in the context of the conversation that is a “big” mistake?  

And, can “fallo pure” be used for past, present, and future?

For example, can you please tell me if all of the following would be acceptable translations of “fallo pure” depending on context:

It was a big mistake.
It is a big mistake.
It will be a big mistake.

It could be a big mistake.

What a big mistake he made.

That would be a big mistake.

They made a big mistake.
They are making a big mistake
They will probably make a big mistake.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

To answer your question, 'fallo pure' is a general idiomatic phrase that is used to refer to 'one' thing in the context of the conversation I demonstrated in my previous answer.

As the expression contains no verb tense itself, it is perfectly acceptable to use when talking about the past, present or future. It is a very versatile and usual expression.

Therefore, to confirm, all of the following expressions would be acceptable translations of the phrase:
It was a big mistake.
It is a big mistake.
It will be a big mistake.
It could be a big mistake.
What a big mistake he made.
That would be a big mistake.
They made a big mistake.
They are making a big mistake
They will probably make a big mistake.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan