Italian Language/"fallo pure"

Dear Lauren,

Can you please help me to understand the meaning of the Italian phrase:  “fallo pure”

I have unsuccessfully tried to figure this out for myself.  I discovered that there is the verb “fallare” (to make a mistake), so maybe “fallo pure” means -  “I make a mistake as well”.   But this does not seem to fit the context of where “fallo pure” was used.  My dictionary states that “faccia pure” means “please do” which fits the context of where  “fallo pure” was used, but this is not the same phrase.  So, to make a long short - I cannot figure out what “fallo pure” means.

I would very much appreciate your help.   Thank you.

Hi Rich,

Yes, 'fallo pure' is indeed a tricky one to understand!

Although fallo comes from the verb 'fallare' meaning to make a mistake, 'fallo' in this case is not referring to the first person of the verb but is rather referring to the noun 'fallo' meaning 'error.'

To say 'fallo pure' is an idiomatic way of staying 'that was a big mistake!' - literally 'error too' which of course doesn't make sense in English.

To give you an example of when it might be used, I came across it in the following radio sketch whereby a husband has spent too much money on a bottle of apéritif:
- Dentro c'è il miglior gin ...
- Ho capito, ma una bottiglietta di aperitivo?
- Ma è buono.
- E fallo pure essere cattivo!

Here, you could translate the expression as 'God forbid if it's bad!' or 'That'll be a mistake if it's bad' etc.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan