Italian Language/la prossima nascita

Dear Lauren,

Can you please tell me the meaning of:  "la prossima nascita"

Thank You

Hi Rich,

Without context, it is difficult to give a 100% accurate answer on the meaning of "la prossima nascita" but I would simply translate it as a "soon-to-be-born baby" although Italians do prefer the word 'nascituro' in this case. I feel that saying "unborn baby" has a bit of a negative ring to it, despite essentially meaning the same thing!

As you will see in the examples given below, sometimes it is just enough to translate this expression as "birth" in English. If Italians are talking about a birth that hasn't yet taken place they will say "prossima nascita" instead of just "nascita", however in English we don't tend to distinguish between the two.

For example:
Avete qualche bel nome maschile da proporre per una prossima nascita? (Do you have any ideas for a nice boy's name for a soon-to-be-born baby)
Festeggia la prossima nascita della figlia femmina con una festa (She is celebrating her soon-to-be-born baby with a party)
L'Arcangelo Gabriele annunciò a Maria la prossima nascita di Gesù (The Archangel Gabriel announced to Mary the birth of Jesus) - here, it is enough to say 'birth' as we know it is referring to a future event.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan