Italian Language/la prossima nascita

Question
Dear Lauren,

Can you please tell me the meaning of:  "la prossima nascita"

Thank You

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

Without context, it is difficult to give a 100% accurate answer on the meaning of "la prossima nascita" but I would simply translate it as a "soon-to-be-born baby" although Italians do prefer the word 'nascituro' in this case. I feel that saying "unborn baby" has a bit of a negative ring to it, despite essentially meaning the same thing!

As you will see in the examples given below, sometimes it is just enough to translate this expression as "birth" in English. If Italians are talking about a birth that hasn't yet taken place they will say "prossima nascita" instead of just "nascita", however in English we don't tend to distinguish between the two.

For example:
Avete qualche bel nome maschile da proporre per una prossima nascita? (Do you have any ideas for a nice boy's name for a soon-to-be-born baby)
Festeggia la prossima nascita della figlia femmina con una festa (She is celebrating her soon-to-be-born baby with a party)
L'Arcangelo Gabriele annunciò a Maria la prossima nascita di Gesù (The Archangel Gabriel announced to Mary the birth of Jesus) - here, it is enough to say 'birth' as we know it is referring to a future event.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan