Italian Language/past infinitive

Hi Lauren,

By any chance can you recommend a text book that will explain the Italian past infinitive - both active and passive.

I've been sort of pulling my hair out trying to understand this topic.  I can't find much info on the internet and none of my text books say much about this topic.   

Thank you   

Hi Rich,

One text in particular that I have always found useful is 'Azione Grammatica' by Derek Aust. Any edition of the book will do but it basically provides a step by step guide to Italian grammar. However,the book is very reader-friendly and has an approach which makes grammar easy for the reader. Chapter 30 in particular talks about the passive in great detail as well as providing you with exercises at the end of each chapter to aid understanding.

Schaums is also another great publisher of language books.These books are more like workbooks which can be used alongside text books but I find them incredibly useful. They have a variety available depending on whether you want to practise grammar, vocabulary etc. The ´Practice makes Perfect' series is also similar and can be recommended too.

Another text book that is useful is a series known as Progetto Italiano - the books begin with A1 level (beginner) and take you all the way up to C2 (mastery) with grammar tips and exercises along the way. They often include CD Roms with activities on as well.

Finally, Affresco Italiano is another good series which will include a useful combination of both grammar and activities with a variety of different texts to help you along the way. Again, this is available from A1 to C2 level. I am currently using the C2 book and I particularly like how they introduce new grammar step by step throughout the book with an extensive explanation.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan