Italian Language/translation

Question
Dear Lauren,

My question is about the following phrase:
“Naturalmente ti faccio già gli auguri per ...”

Can you please tell me if the following translation is correct:
“Naturally I of course wish you all the best for ...”

I am especially interested about the presence of the word “già”    Is there a better translation for “già” in this phrase than “of course”?

Thank you for your help.  

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your question.

Yes, you are correct - già is best translated as 'of course' in this case. However, please note that it can also mean 'already' so it is not 100% sure from the context what meaning the speaker entails. Of course, the two meanings are very different

Therefore, the overall correct translation as you have rightly put is "Naturally I of course wish you all the best for ..." but it could also be "Naturally I already wish you all the best for ..." (as in, in advance before the date)

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan