Italian Language/translation

Dear Lauren,

My question is about the following phrase:
“Naturalmente ti faccio già gli auguri per ...”

Can you please tell me if the following translation is correct:
“Naturally I of course wish you all the best for ...”

I am especially interested about the presence of the word “già”    Is there a better translation for “già” in this phrase than “of course”?

Thank you for your help.  

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your question.

Yes, you are correct - già is best translated as 'of course' in this case. However, please note that it can also mean 'already' so it is not 100% sure from the context what meaning the speaker entails. Of course, the two meanings are very different

Therefore, the overall correct translation as you have rightly put is "Naturally I of course wish you all the best for ..." but it could also be "Naturally I already wish you all the best for ..." (as in, in advance before the date)

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan