Italian Language/translation

Question
QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if the following translation is correct or not:

Sono lieta che tu abbia trascorso una serena Pasqua insieme a tutta    la tua famiglia e mi fa piacere che tu abbia visto Pieve di Cento su    Internet.  Naturalmente ti faccio già gli auguri per il tuo 40° anniversario di matrimonio e per un tuo eventuale viaggio in Italia insieme a tua moglie.

I am happy that you spent a peaceful Easter together with your family and I am pleased that you have visited Pieve di Cento on the internet.  Naturally I of course wish you all the best for your 40th wedding anniversary and for a possible trip of yours to Italy with your wife

I am especially wondering about the translation of the word “eventuale”.  Can you please tell me if “eventuale” is translated as “possible”.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

ANSWER: Dear Rich,

your translation is correct, apart from “già” translated as “of course” and “un tuo” translated as “yours”.

So,the sentence “Sono lieta che tu abbia trascorso una serena Pasqua insieme a tutta la tua famiglia e mi fa piacere che tu abbia visto Pieve di Cento su Internet.  Naturalmente ti faccio già gli auguri per il tuo 40° anniversario di matrimonio e per un tuo eventuale viaggio in Italia insieme a tua moglie” should be translated as :
”I am happy that you spent a peaceful Easter together with your family and I am pleased that you have visited Pieve di Cento on the internet.  Naturally I already  wish you all the best for your 40th wedding anniversary and for your  possible trip  to Italy with your wife”.

As you can see, I’ve used “already” as in,“right from now”, “in advance before the date”, and “your” in “your possible trip” instead of the pronoun “of yours”.

Lastly, “eventuale” corresponds exactly to the adjective “possible", as you wrote.

All the best,
Maria

QUESTION: Dear Maria,  

Thank you for your answer to this question.

Can you please help me to understand why “un tuo” is translated as “yours”.

I am confused because in the past I had learned that when the Italian indefinite article is placed before an Italian possessive adjective  (instead of placing the Italian definite article before an Italian possessive adjective) that this translates into English as the English preposition “of” plus an English possessive pronoun (instead of an English possessive adjective)

It is for this reason that I translated “un tuo” as “of yours”.

Is it possible that “of yours” is the literal translation, but that “yours” is used here because this makes a better sounding sentence in English?  

I was wondering why a person would not have written “...e per il tuo eventuale viaggio in Italia ...” (instead of  ... e per un tuo eventuale viaggio in Italia ...) if the translation would be “yours”  (and not “of yours).

Thank you very much for your great help with my questions.  I so much appreciate your kindness in helping to understand these fine points.  

Very Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

actually I’ve  used the adjective “your” in “for your possible trip  to Italy”, not the pronoun “yours”(See above).

The reason why I wrote “for your  possible trip  to Italy” instead of “for a possible trip of yours to Italy “ is that  there is the adjective “possible” and then I have thought that it would have been better to use the adjective “your”, because this makes a better sounding sentence in English, although “of yours” is the literal translation.

Lastly I did not write  “...e per il tuo eventuale viaggio in Italia ...” (instead of  ... e per un tuo eventuale viaggio in Italia ...)  simply because in the Italian  expression " per un tuo eventuale viaggio in Italia “ there is a margin of  uncertainty connected to the indefinite article “un”.

Hope this is clear enough.

Best regards,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria