Italian Language/use of "per"

Question
Dear Lauren,

Can you please tell me if the following sentence is correct:

“Sei molto gentile per aiutarmi tanto.”
You are very kind to help me so much.

I am especially wondering if the preposition “per” needs to be included in this sentence.   Must "per" be included to express "intention"?

Thank you

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

Hope you have had a nice Easter.

To answer your question, yes, you are correct. The right way to express, "You are very kind to help me so much" is indeed "Sei molto gentile per aiutarmi tanto".

The preposition "per" is necessary in this sentence because it is helping to express intention. It also connects the two elements of the sentence together - why are you kind?...for having helped so much. If a similar question like this can be asked, then the chances are "per" must be used.

To give another example, "sei molto stanco per aver lavorato tanto" - why are you tired?...for having worked so much.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan