Italian Language/use of "regge"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please help me to better understand the use of the verb “regge” in the following sentence:

Aggiungo che il verbo “anteporre”, il cui participio passato è “anteposto”, regge la preposizione “a”, come ad esempio in “Antepone il lavoro a tutto”, “Non anteporre il denaro all’onestà”, “Egli aveva purtroppo anteposto a tutto il suo personale interesse”, ecc.

I am thinking that “regge” is a form of the verb “reggere”, but I do not know if “reggere” means “to govern” , “to take”, or “to be followed by” .

I am thinking that the above may be translated as:

I add that the verb “anteporre” whose past participle is “anteposto” is followed by the preposition “a”, as for example  in “Antepone il lavoro a tutto” (He places work before everything else) , “Non anteporre il denaro all’onestà” (Not to put work before virtue), “Egli aveva purtroppo anteposto a tutto il suo personale interesse” (He had unfortunately placed his own personal interests before everything else) , etc.

Would you please tell me if this translation is correct.  

Does "reggere" mean "to be followed by" where "reggere" includes the meaning of the English preposition "by"?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

In my sentence “Aggiungo che il verbo “anteporre”, il cui participio passato è “anteposto”, regge la preposizione “a”, come ad esempio in “Antepone il lavoro a tutto”, “Non anteporre il denaro all’onestà”, “Egli aveva purtroppo anteposto a tutto il suo personale interesse”, ecc.” the present indicative, 3rd.person singular “regge”  is just a form of the verb “reggere” which in this context means exactly  “to govern” , “to take”, or “to be followed by”.

So, your translation “I add that the verb “anteporre” whose past participle is “anteposto” is followed by/ takes/governs  the preposition “a”, as for example  in “Antepone il lavoro a tutto” (He places work before everything else), “Non anteporre il denaro all’onestà” (Do not put money before virtue), “Egli aveva purtroppo anteposto a tutto il suo personale interesse” (He had unfortunately placed his own personal interests before everything else) , etc.” is correct, apart from “Not to put work..” as “Non anteporre..” is a negative imperative in Italian, not an infinitive.

As for "reggere" meaning "to be followed by" (literally, “essere seguito da”), it is clear that  in this case the transitive verb "reggere" includes the meaning of the English preposition "by".

Best regards,
Maria  

Italian Language

Maria