Italian Language/use of "volto" and use of "a"

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the following sentence:  

... perché si tratta di quello che in Italiano si chiama “complemento di vantaggio” volto appunto ad indicare in favore/a vantaggio di che avviene l’azione espressa dal verbo.

... because it deals with what in Italian one calls “complemento di vantaggio” intended exactly to indicate in the favor/to the advantage for who the action expressed by the verb happens”

Can you please tell me if the past participle “volto” is being used to express the passive voice in this sentence?

I am also trying to understand why “a” is used before “indicare”.  I know that I have previously asked  you  a similar question (about “per” vs “a”) , but I just want to make sure that I understand the use of the preposition “a” in this sentence.  

Is “a” used before “indicare” because the verb “è volto” indicates a “state”?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

In the phrase  “... perché si tratta di quello che in Italiano si chiama “complemento di vantaggio” volto appunto ad indicare in favore/a vantaggio di chi avviene l’azione espressa dal verbo” the past participle “volto” is being used as an active intransitive voice of the verb “volgere”, not as a passive voice.

The verb “volgere”, in fact”, can be both transitive ( “volgere le spalle “) and intransitive (“la strada volge a sinistra”).

So, the preposition  “a” is used before “indicare” as it depends on the past intransitive participle “volto” which is often followed by the preposition  “a“, as in “Il mio animo era volto alla comprensione delle sofferenze altrui”, “Il sole volge al  tramonto”,"Il tempo volge al brutto", "Le cose volgono al peggio",  etc.

Best regards,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria