Italian Language/d'aiuto

Dear Lauren,  

Can you please tell me if “d’aiuto” (of help)  is classified as a “locuzione avverbiale” (adverbial phrase).

For example,  in the sentence:   “Spero di essereti stata d’aiuto” (I hope to have been of help to you)  is “d’aiuto” a locuzione avverbiale?

Thank you very much.

Hi Rich,

Yes, I would class "d'aiuto" as a locuzione avverbiale.

You may remember from a previous question, I stated that a locuzione avverbiale will always have a function similar to an adverb and thus, they will always follow a particular format. One of those formats can be Preposition + noun phrase which is exactly what "d'aiuto" is.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan