Italian Language/Da Vinci quote

Question
I love the quote by Leonardo da Vinci;  "As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death." But I would really like to have it in its original Italian, as I'm sure da Vinci said this in Italian rather than in English.

Thank you :)

Answer
"Sì come una giornata bene spesa dà lieto dormire, così una vita bene usata dà lieto morire."

You are right, it's a good quote with a strong meaning.
The quote is contained in one of Da Vinci "codices", Codice Trivulziano. It was written between 1485 and 1490 by Leonardo and is now owned by Trivulziana Library (Milan, Sforzesco Castle). The ownership dates back to the second half of XVIII century.
Here you can find some more information about the codex, as well as an image of it http://www.trec.it/eng/trivulziano.php

The English translation you're using is a good one ("As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death.") and it is very similar to the literal translation; it maintains the difference between "spesa" ("spent") and "usata" ("used") - maybe this means that sometimes we can "buy" a day, but we can never buy a whole life?. "Dà" is translated with "brings", which would literally mean "porta": "dà" would be literally "gives" - but this doesn't change the meaning of course and that sounds better in English.

Keep reading about this great artist and man and please ask again if you find other quotes you like!
Thank you for your very nice question and good bye,

Paolin

Italian Language

Paolin