Italian Language/translation / use of the adjective "errato"

Question
Dear Lauren,  

I recently encountered the following wording:
l’errata collocazione

I have translated this as:
the incorrect positioning

Would you please tell me if this translation is correct or not?

I was also wondering why the adjective “errata” is placed before the noun “collocazione”.

Can you please tell me if the adjective “errato” is always placed before nouns?  

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

Yes it sounds to me like the translation would be 'the incorrect positioning.' However, without the exact context of the phrase, it is hard to say for sure.

'Errata' doesn't always have to be placed before a noun. In this case, the choice of putting an adjective before a noun puts specific emphasis on the fact that it is 'incorrect'. Although, in Italian it is correct to put the adjective at the end of the sentence (in most cases), sometimes you will find it before typically as a sign of poetic emphasis or special highlighting.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren  

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan