Italian Language/use of "collocazione" and "posizione"

Question
Dear Lauren,  

My question is about the nouns: “collocazione” and “posizione”.

Can you please tell me if there is a difference in meaning between “collocazione” and “posizione”?

My dictionary states that “collocazione” means “positioning” and that “posizione” means “position”.

I was wondering if “collocazione” can only be used to say the gerund noun form - “positioning” , but not to say the regular noun form - “position”.   Can only “posizione” be used to say “position”?

Thank you very much for your help.  

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

Both “collocazione” and “posizione” are near synonyms of one another. The reason I say 'near' is because there are minor differences between the two uses.

"Collocazione" can actually be translated as both 'position' and 'positioning.' However, it is principally used to refer to positioning in the sense of an arrangement of some sort - e.g. books on a shelf in the library, stock on a shelf in a supermarket etc.

As for "posizione", this is far more flexible and used much in the way that we use it in English. It can only be translated as 'position' rather than 'positioning' and has various meanings including 'the place where something is' and 'a strong opinion'. This would be my preferred choice in most situations.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren  

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan