Italian Language/use of "collocazione" and "posizione"

Dear Lauren,  

My question is about the nouns: “collocazione” and “posizione”.

Can you please tell me if there is a difference in meaning between “collocazione” and “posizione”?

My dictionary states that “collocazione” means “positioning” and that “posizione” means “position”.

I was wondering if “collocazione” can only be used to say the gerund noun form - “positioning” , but not to say the regular noun form - “position”.   Can only “posizione” be used to say “position”?

Thank you very much for your help.  

Hi Rich,

Both “collocazione” and “posizione” are near synonyms of one another. The reason I say 'near' is because there are minor differences between the two uses.

"Collocazione" can actually be translated as both 'position' and 'positioning.' However, it is principally used to refer to positioning in the sense of an arrangement of some sort - e.g. books on a shelf in the library, stock on a shelf in a supermarket etc.

As for "posizione", this is far more flexible and used much in the way that we use it in English. It can only be translated as 'position' rather than 'positioning' and has various meanings including 'the place where something is' and 'a strong opinion'. This would be my preferred choice in most situations.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan