Italian Language/translation

Dear Lauren,

My question is about the translation of line 10 in the following dialogue:

1  Editore: Avanti!

2  Piero: Buongiorno, Marco.

3  Editore: Ciao, Piero. Come va?

4  Piero: Bene, e tu?

5  Editore: Non c'e male. Conosci Gabriella?

6   Piero: Ah, forse si.

7  Gabriella: Lei è il signor Corsetti, vero?

8  Piero: Si, sono io. Salve!

9  Gabriella: Piacere, Gabriella Borelli.

10  Editore: Bene. Dopo le presentazioni è ora di lavorare. Il vostro compito è  questo: una guida d'Italia nuovissima, bellissima e molto originale. E ora devo proprio scappare! Buon lavoro!

11  Gabriella: Arrivederci!

12  Piero: Ciao!

Would you pleaser tell me if my following translation is correct:
“Il vostro compito è questo: una guida d’Italia nuovissima, bellissima e molto originale.”
“Your task is this:  a very new guide of Italy, very good and very original.”

Would you also please verify the following:

nuovissima (very new)  =  absolute superlative form of the adjective “nuova”

bellissima (very good)   =  absolute superlative form of the adjective “bella”

molto originale  (very original) =  absolute superlative form of the adjective “originale”

Thank you very much.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your question. Yes, you are spot on with your translation of sentence 10. The only minor correction I would make is to simply say 'brand new' instead of 'very new'. just because it sounds more correct to an English ear.

Nuovvisima is indeed thw absolute superlative form of the adjective nuova and bellissima is the absolute superlative form of the adjective bella. The ending 'issimo/a' can be added to almost any adjective to stress the idea of 'very'.

Finally, yes, you are also correct in stating that molto originale is the absolute superlative form of the adjective originale.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan