Italian Language/translation

Question
Dear Lauren,  

Can you please tell me if I have translated the following sentence correctly:

Ecco.  Iniziamo da Napoli, poi visitiamo Bologna e prendiamo la direzione di Firenze attraversando l’interno...qui...in Umbrria.

Look here.  We start at Naples, then we will visit Bologna and we will go by way of Florence crossing the interior...here...in Umbria.

I am having an especially frustrating time trying to understand  the best way to translate- “prediamo la direzione di Firenze”.  

I am wondering if my translation - “we will go by way of Florence” (rather than the  literal translation of -  “we will take the direction of Florence”)  is correct or not.

If “yes”, I am also wondering if  - “prendere la direzione di”  is a commonly used phrase in Italy that is used to express - “to go by the way of” ?   

Can you please tell me if this is so?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

Yes I would say that your translation is generally very good. In terms of, "prendiamo la direzione di Firenze", the best way to translate this would be "we will head towards Florence".

Therefore, the whole sentence would translate as:
Look here.  We start at Naples, then we will visit Bologna and we will head towards Florence crossing the interior...here...in Umbria"

"Prendere la direzione di" is the standard way of saying "to head towards".

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan