Italian Language/use of "bene"

Dear Lauren,

Thank you, again, for all of your help.

Would you please help me to understand the use and meaning of the adverb “bene”  in line 10 of the following dialogue?

(I hope that you don’t mind that I included this entire dialogue with this question.  I thought that this would best show the context in which “bene” is being used)

1  Editore: Avanti!

2  Piero: Buongiorno, Marco.

3  Editore: Ciao, Piero. Come va?

4  Piero: Bene, e tu?

5  Editore: Non c'e male. Conosci Gabriella?

6   Piero: Ah, forse si.

7  Gabriella: Lei č il signor Corsetti, vero?

8  Piero: Si, sono io. Salve!

9  Gabriella: Piacere, Gabriella Borelli.

10  Editore: Bene. Dopo le presentazioni č ora di lavorare. Il vostro compito č  questo: una guida d'Italia nuovissima, bellissima e motto originale. E ora devo proprio scappare! Buon lavoro!

11  Gabriella: Arrivederci!

12  Piero: Ciao!

Thank you very much.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for providing the whole context. That makes things much clearer :)

'Bene' in this example carries no lexical meaning in particular, but is simply used as what we call in English a 'filler' to move the conversation along and lead onto a new topic. The English equivalent would be 'well' or 'right.'

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan