Italian Language/use of preposition "per"

Question
Dear Lauren,

Would you please help me some more with the following dialogue:

Ecco.  Iniziamo da Napoli, poi visitiamo Bologna e prendiamo la direzione di Firenze attraversando l’interno...qui...in Umbrria.   Poi proseguiamo per Genova.  

I am wondering about the use of the preposition “per” in the sentence - “Poi proseguiamo per Genova.”

I am thinking that this sentence is translated as - “Then we will continue through Genova” where the preposition “per” is used to say "through" as an expression of  “motion through a place”.   Can you please tell me if I am correct?

But, I was also wondering if the preposition “da” could not have been used instead of the preposition “per” as in saying -   “Poi proseguiamo da Genova.”  (Then we will continue through Genova).   Is this possible?  I am thinking that the preposition “da” is also used to indicate “motion through a place”.

These prepositions are so difficult for me.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

I would translate the sentence as "Then we will head on to Genova".

"Per" is acting as an expression indicating direction forward as in motion towards a place in this case.

Here, "da" would not be acceptable as this instead will give the impression of "from". Therefore, it would make the translation as "we will continue on from Genova".

Typical rule of thumb - "per"is heading towards a destination and "da" is heading from somewhere.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan