Italian Language/use of "scappare"

Dear Lauren,

I hope you don’t mind another question about this same dialogue.  I need to ask about #10.

1  Editore: Avanti!

2  Piero: Buongiorno, Marco.

3  Editore: Ciao, Piero. Come va?

4  Piero: Bene, e tu?

5  Editore: Non c'e male. Conosci Gabriella?

6   Piero: Ah, forse si.

7  Gabriella: Lei è il signor Corsetti, vero?

8  Piero: Si, sono io. Salve!

9  Gabriella: Piacere, Gabriella Borelli.

10  Editore: Bene. Dopo le presentazioni è ora di lavorare. Il vostro compito è  questo: una guida d'Italia nuovissima, bellissima e motto originale. E ora devo proprio scappare! Buon lavoro!

11  Gabriella: Arrivederci!

12  Piero: Ciao!

Would you please tell me if I have translated the following line correctly:
“E ora devo proprio scappare!”
And now I must really get out of here!

I am having a bit of a hard time with translating the verb “scappare”.  Can “scappare” be translated as - “to get out of here”  ?   (To say   “I must really escape” doesn’t sound all that good to me)

Thank you, once again, for all of your help.

Hi Rich,

Yes, 'to get out of here' is an excellent translation of 'scappare'. Although 'scappare' literally does mean 'escape', it is used in a colloquial way in this context to mean 'get out of here'.

It is almost provided as a joke by the 'editore' to imply that he is desperate to leave in a rush!

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan