Italian Language/use of "tanto"

Question
Dear Maria,

Can you please tell me if “tanto” is being used as an adverb or as an indefinite pronoun in the following sentence:

Sei stata molto gentile ad avermi aiutato tanto!
You have been very kind to have helped me so much!

If “tanto” is being used as an adverb, can you please also tell me if the adverb “tanto” is always placed after the verb as it is placed in this sentence.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

in the sentence that you mention the word “tanto” is used as an adverb.

When used as an adverb, "tanto" is almost always  placed after the verb as it is placed in “Sei stata molto gentile ad avermi aiutato tanto!” or in “Non pensavo che si sarebbe offeso tanto“.

Anyway, the adverb "tanto" could also be placed between the two parts of a compound verb form, so that we can also say :“Sei stata molto gentile ad avermi tanto aiutato !” and “Non pensavo che si sarebbe tanto offeso” just like in English “I didn't think he would be so offended”.

Kind regards,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria