Italian Language/meaning of: "a casa mia"

Question
Dear Maria,

I am trying to determine the meaning of the word “casa” - when “casa” is preceded by a preposition and followed by a possessive adjective as in the following sentence:

“Il tuo amico č spesso invitato a casa mia.”

I do not know if “casa” means “house” or “home” in this sentence.

Should I translate this sentence as: “Your friend is often invited to my house”   or  “Your friend is often invited to my home”  ?

Can you please tell me if there is any rule or guideline to follow.

I have had this same problem when attempting to translate “a casa mia” in other sentences.

For example  -

Does “Io vada a casa mia” mean “I go to my home” or “I go to my house”.   

Does “Torno a casa mia” mean “I go back to my home” or “I go back to my house”

Translating “a casa mia” has always confused me because "casa" means "house" and "home", but "house" and "home" are not the same in English.

I would so much appreciate your help,  as I so much hope  to understand how to correctly use the phrase  -  "a casa mia"

Thank you, in advance, for your help.   

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

when the Italian noun  “casa” is preceded by a preposition and followed by a possessive adjective as in “Il tuo amico č spesso invitato a casa mia”, it means “home” and then you should translate this sentence as: “Your friend is often invited to my home” rather than  “Your friend is often invited to my house”.

Also, “Io vado a casa mia”  and “Torno a casa mia”  mean “I go to my home”  and “I go back to my home” respectively, rather than “I go to my house” and “I go back to my house”.

In Italian, in fact, "casa" means "house" and "home”, while “ house" and "home" are not the same in English, as you say, but I am afraid I cannot help you  with this question because unfortunately I do not know English so well that I can distinguish its nuances.

Therefore I’m sorry, but I’m not able to tell you  any rule or guideline to follow  when you have to translate “casa”.

Maybe you could write some English sentences with  “home” or “house” and try to translate them  into Italian  so that I can correct them, if they were wrong.

Best regards,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria