Italian Language/translation

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please help me to translate the following sentence:
“Si fece fare un abito nuovo.”

I am guessing that the meaning of this sentence is:
“She made herself a new dress.”

But, I am unsure about the verb “fece fare” in this sentence.

Is “fece fare” the past tense of the reflexive verb “farsi” used as a phraseological verb?  Or, is “fece fare” a form of the phraseological verb “far fare”?

It would help me very much if I new the meanings of “far fare” and “farsi fare”.  Can you please tell me the meaning of the phraseological verbs:  “far fare” and “farsi fare”

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

“Si fece fare un abito nuovo” translates as “He/She had a new suit /dress made”, not as “She made herself a new dress”, first because in Italian the subject can be either “Egli/Lui”(masculine singular) or “Ella/Lei/ (feminine singular), second because “Si fece" in "Si fece fare”  is  the past tense of the reflexive verb “farsi” used as a phraseological verb.

In fact,the sentence “Si fece fare un abito nuovo”  means that someone has asked a tailor to make a measure suit /dress, while “She made herself a new dress”  corresponds to the Italian phrase “Ella/Lei si fece un abito nuovo” or “Ella/Lei si confezionò un abito nuovo” meaning  that such a woman has made herself a new dress.

Best regards,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria