Italian Language/use of "come"

Question
Dear Maria,

Can you please tell me if “come” is used correctly in the following sentence:

Per favore, potresti dirmi come dire “it does not seem” in italiano.
(Can you please tell me how to say “it does not seem” in Italian?)

I was wondering if I should have written:

Per favore, potresti dirmi come si dice “it does not seem” in italiano.
(Can you please tell me how one says “it does not seem” in Italian?)

Is it possible that both methods are correct?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the best way to translate either “Can you please tell me how to say “it does not seem” in Italian?” or “Can you please tell me how one says “it does not seem” in Italian?” is “Per favore, potresti dirmi come si dice “it does not seem” in Italiano?” where both “how to say” and “how one says” correspond to “come si dice”.

As for “Per favore, potresti dirmi come dire “it does not seem” in Italiano?”, it sounds cacophonous since “dirmi come dire” has an  unpleasant sound, because of the  repetition of “dirmi/dire”.

In short,both "come dire" and "come si dice" could be used indifferently in  sentences like e.g. "Non so come dire “it does not seem” in Italiano" and" Non so come si dice  “it does not seem” in Italiano", where "come dire" depends on "Non so" that does not cause a cacophony.

Kind regards,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria