Italian Language/use of "alla lettera"

Question
Dear Maria,

Thank you for your excellent answer to my previous question about the use of the “passive si”.

Can you please help me with a question that I have about the following sentence that was included in this answer:

Inoltre,  l’aggettivo “poco” si può tradurre con  “not very”,  che alla lettera significa “non molto” e quindi equivale a “poco”.

Can you please tell me if “alla lettera” is classified as a “locuzione avverbiale”?

Can you also please tell me if “alla lettera”   is translated with the English adverb “literally”?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

I am glad to have helped you.

As for the expression  “alla lettera” in my sentence “Inoltre, l’aggettivo “poco” si può tradurre con  “not very”,  che alla lettera significa “non molto” e quindi equivale a “poco”, it  is  classified as a “locuzione avverbiale” and is translated with the English adverb “literally”, or also with  “word for word”.

All the best,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria