Italian Language/use of - "Le va bene?"

Question
Dear Lauren,

My question is about the following expression:  “Le va bene?”

Can you please tell me if I am correct in thinking that this expression is an idiomatic use of “andare” that is translated as -  “Ok for you?”

Can you also please verify if I am correct in thinking that “Le” is the formal indirect object pronoun meaning “you”.

I was also wondering if “Le va bene?” is an expression that is commonly used in Italy.   Is this an expression that I can expect to hear in Italy?

Thank you very much.  I very much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

Well done! You have got that spot on - "le va bene" is indeed an idiomatic use of "andare" and can be translated as 'Ok for you?' or simply 'Okay? (as in 'is that okay?).

Le is acting as the formal indirect objct pronoun for you here. Equally you could say 'ti va bene' - 'is that ok with you?'.

It is a colloquial expression that you will here very frequently in Italy, particularly amongst friends and family.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan