Italian Language/use of "un altro" vs "altro"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if the following translation is correct or not:

“Altro verbo fraseologico č per es. “stare” in frasi come ...”
Other phraseological verb is for example “stare” in sentences like ...

Can you please tell me if there is any special reason why “Un altro” was not used as in - “Un altro verbo phraseologico” in order to express - “Another phraseological verb”.

I am trying to understand why the indefinite article that is usually included before “altro” in order to express “another” has been omitted.

Would you also please verify the following translations:

Stava parlando.  =  He was talking.
Sto leggendo.  =  I am reading.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

“Altro verbo fraseologico č per es. “stare” in frasi come ...” translates  correctly as “Another phraseological verb is for example “stare” in sentences like ...”.

In fact, “Altro verbo” stands for “Un altro verbo”, since in this context we can omit the indefinite article “un” before “altro”.

See also:

-”Altro fatto da menzionare  č ....” (Another thing  to be mentioned is..);
-“Altra condizione di cui tener conto č...” (Another circumstance we must consider is....).

As you can see, the indefinite article that is usually included before “altro” in order to express “another” has been omitted in sentences where  the adjective “altro”/”altra” stands at the beginning of the phrase.

In short,  the indefinite article, that is usually included before “altro” in order to express “another, can be omitted only when it is the first word of a sentence, though we can also say "Un altro verbo", "Un altro fatto", "Un'altra condizione".

With regard to “He was talking” (Stava parlando) and “I am reading” (Sto leggendo), they are correct.

Best regards,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria