Italian Language/translation

Question
Dear Maria,  

Would you please tell me if I have correctly expressed the following sentences in Italian:

Thank you for having helped me with this translation.  Also, thank you for helping me to understand the use of the verbs - “riportare”, “citare”, e “quotare”.

Grazie di avermi aiutato con questa traduzione.  Anche, grazie di aiutarmi a capire l’uso corretto dei verbi - “riportare”, “citare”, e “quotare”.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

you should have said :”Grazie di avermi aiutato con questa traduzione e grazie anche di avermi aiutato a capire l’uso corretto dei verbi“riportare”,  “citare” e “quotare”.

As you can see, in your translation of “Thank you for having helped me with this translation.  Also, thank you for helping me to understand the use of the verbs “riportare”, “citare”, e “quotare” you made  two small mistakes, i.e. the placement of  the conjunction “anche”  and the present infinitive “di aiutarmi ...” instead of the past infinitive “di avermi aiutato”.

In short, please note that:

-in Italian the conjunction “anche” is not placed at the beginning of a sentence, except for phrases like the following:" Anche oggi piove" (it’s raining today as well); "Anche noi lo vedemmo" (we saw him as well/ we saw him too); “Anche suo fratello scia molto bene” where the conjunction "anche" stands before an adverb (oggi), a pronoun (noi), a noun (fratello).

-the gerund “helping” in the context “...thank you for helping me to understand ...“ indicates an action that took place before  the present infinitive “to understand” and so we use the past infinitive "avermi aiutato".

Lastly, I have to tell you that you could also have said :  “Ti ringrazio dell’aiuto che mi hai dato in questa traduzione.Grazie inoltre di avermi aiutato a capire l’uso corretto dei verbi - “riportare”, “citare”, e “quotare”.

Cordialità.
Maria

Italian Language

Maria