Italian Language/use of the preposition "in"

Question
Dear Maria,  

Would you please tell me if I have correctly translated the following sentence:

Il contesto della conversazione č che Gabriella e Piero sono a Torino e stanno guardando una mappa dell’Italia nell’intento di organizzare un viaggio.
The context of the conversation is that Gabriella and Piero are in Turin and are looking at  map of Italy for the intention of organizing a trip.

Can you also please explain why the preposition “in” is used before the noun “intento”.  

It would help me so much if you would also please answer the following:  

Is the preposition “in” always used to “express circumstance” instead of using the preposition “di”?   

Can the preposition “in” be translated as “for”?

Is it true that the preposition “in” is always used before the noun “intento”?

Thank you very much.  

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

it is better to say:” The context of the conversation is that Gabriella and Piero are in Turin and are looking at a  map of Italy with the intention of organizing a trip” where there is  the indefinite article “a” before “map” and the expression “with the intention” instead of “for the intention”.

As for the “preposizione articolata”  “nello” (nell’ with the apostrophe) before the noun “intento”, it is the alternate form of “con l’intento di” to express the intention of doing something.

In short,  the preposition  “nello “ ('preposizione articolata' of IN)  cannot be translated as “for”.
Moreover it is not true that the “preposizione articolata”  NELLO   is always used before the noun “intento”, since  it can be replaced by  CON LO (con l’ with the apostrophe), just I’ve already said.

Lastly, with regard to the question “Is the preposition “in” always used to “express circumstance” instead of using the preposition “di”, this depends on the context, of course.
Could you please give me an example? Otherwise I can’t follow you.

Best regards,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria