Italian Language/use of "quindi"

Question
Dear Maria,  

My question is about the use of the word “quindi” in the following sentence:

“Infine, non si può usare  “quotata” per significare “quoted” e quindi dire : “....proprio come nella frase sopra quotata”, perché in Italiano il verbo “quotare”  può avere i seguenti significati...”

I had originally thought that “quindi” meant  “therefore” in this sentence as in the following translation:

Finally, one cannot use “quotata” to mean “quoted” and therefore say: “....proprio come nella frase sopra quotata”, because in Italian the verb “quotare” can have the following meanings:

I had thought that “quindi” was being used as a conjunction in this sentence.  But, now I am wondering if “quindi” is actually being used as an adverb.  

Could you please tell me if “quindi” is an adverb in this sentence, or if “quindi” is a conjunction in this sentence.  

If “quindi” was meant to be an adverb, would you also please tell me the meaning of “quindi” in this sentence.  Should “quindi” be translated as “then”?  

If “yes”, is the following a better translation:

“Finally, one cannot use “quotata” to mean “quoted” and then  say: “....proprio come nella frase sopra quotata”, because in Italian the verb “quotare” can have the following meanings...”

I am having a hard time understanding when to use “perciò” to mean “therefore” and when to use “quindi” or “dunque” for “therefore”.  I think it would therefore help me a lot if I could better understand the use of “quindi” in the above sentence.

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

in the sentence that you mention the word “quindi” was being used exactly as a conjunction meaning “therefore”, and when “quindi” is being used as a conjunction it is the synonym of  the conjunction “perciò” just having the same meaning, i.e. “therefore”.

So, the phrase “Infine, non si può usare  “quotata” per significare “quoted” e QUINDI  dire : “....proprio come nella frase sopra quotata”, perché in Italiano il verbo “quotare”  può avere i seguenti significati...” is the equivalent of :“Infine, non si può usare  “quotata” per significare “quoted” e PERCIO’ dire : “....proprio come nella frase sopra quotata”, perché in Italiano il verbo “quotare”  può avere i seguenti significati...”.

As for “quindi” used as an adverb of time meaning “then”, we use it in phrases like e.g.:“Prima rifletti, quindi agisci!” (Think first, then act” or “Think first, act afterwards) or  “Ogni giorno fa una dichiarazione, quindi la smentisce”, etc.

When “quindi” is being used as an adverb, it is the synonym of  the adverb of time “poi”/”dopo” as in “Prima rifletti, POI/ DOPO agisci!” ,  “Ogni giorno fa una dichiarazione, POI/DOPO la smentisce”.

Lastly, the word “dunque” can be used as a conjunction instead of “quindi” or “perciò”; as an  illative conjunction, and  sometimes as a noun.

For example:

-“Hai sbagliato, dunque/quindi/perciò è giusto che tu paghi” (you made a mistake, so /therefore it’s right you  pay for it), where “dunque” is being used as a conjunction meaning “For this reason”,” As a result of this ”.

-“Dunque, devi sapere che ti aiuterò” (Well, you must  know that I’ll help you), “Dunque, per tornare al nostro discorso...” (So/ Well , to get back to the subject ...”) , where “dunque” is being used as an  illative conjunction for a conclusion drawn.

-“Vieni al dunque” (Get to the point) where “dunque “ is being used as a noun.

To sum up,please note that:

1) in Italian the conjunctions “quindi”, “perciò” and “dunque” can be synonymous when they mean : “For this reason”,” As a result of this ”.

2)instead, when “quindi” is used as an adverb of time, it is synonym of “poi”/”dopo”.

3)regarding  “dunque”, it can be used as a conjunction instead of “quindi” or “perciò”; as an  illative conjunction, and  sometimes as a noun.

Cordiali saluti.
Maria

Italian Language

Maria