Italian Language/uses of "che"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell if I am correct in thinking that “che”, is being used as a “subordinating conjunction” meaning “that” in the following sentence:

Per favore, potresti dirmi  se ho tradotto correttamente questo dialogo che si svolge tra Gabriella e Piero?   
Can you please tell me if I have correctly translated this dialogue that takes place between Gabriella and Piero?

Would you also please tell me if I am correct in thinking that “che” is being used as a “relative pronoun” meaning “that” in the following sentence:

Il contesto della conversazione è che Gabriella e Piero sono a Torino ...    
The context of this conversation is that Gabriella and Piero are in Turin ....

I would really appreciate your verification,  as this will allow me to better test my understanding of the uses and meaning of the Italian word “che”.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

In the  sentence :”Per favore, potresti dirmi  se ho tradotto correttamente questo dialogo che si svolge tra Gabriella e Piero?“ the word “che” is being used as a  “relative pronoun”, NOT as a  “subordinanting conjunction”.
Such a relative pronoun refers in fact to the term “dialogo” and is the subject of the relative sentence whose verb is “si svolge”.

As for  the other phrase “Il contesto della conversazione è che Gabriella e Piero sono a Torino ... “,  the word  “che” is being used here as a   “subordinanting conjunction”, NOT as a “ relative pronoun”.
In this context in fact the conjunction  “che” introduces a subjective clause, i.e. a clause that works as the subject  of the verb “è”.

See also:

-“Non ho capito le cose che hai detto”,  where CHE is a relative pronoun related to COSE and used as a direct object of the verb HAI DETTO in the relative clause.

-“E’ bello sentire gli uccelli che cinguettano” , where CHE is a relative pronoun related to UCCELLI and used as a subject of the verb CINGUETTANO in the relative clause.

-“E’ bello che tu mi aiuti”, where CHE is a subordinanting conjunction that  introduces a Subjective clause, i.e. a clause that works as the subject  of the verb “E’”.

-"Penso che partirò domani"where CHE is a subordinanting conjunction that  introduces an Infinitive clause, i.e. a clause that works as the direct object depending on the verb "Penso" in the main clause.

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Maria
______________________________________________________________________
P.S.
In Italian there is a kind of  expedient as to understand if CHE is a subordinanting conjunction or a relative pronoun.
In short, if CHE is a relative pronoun, it can be replaced by its equivalent form "il quale"/"la quale"/i quali"/"le quali" as in "E’ bello sentire gli uccelli I QUALI cinguettano" for "E’ bello sentire gli uccelli CHE cinguettano".
Otherwise CHE is a subordinanting conjunction.

Italian Language

Maria