Italian Language/ma perchè or perchè

Dear Maria,

Thank you for your help with my question concerning “ma perchè”

Thank you for explaining that “ma perchè” is idiomatic and means “because”.  

I am now trying to understand why and/or when to say “ma perchè” for “because” instead of saying “perchè” for “because”.

For example, is “ma perchè” more informal than “perchè”, or does “ma perchè” imply a sense of uncertainty, or is “ma perchè” more assertive than “perchè”?  

Is it possible that “ma perchè” is used when someone is disagreeing with another  person?

Or, is there no difference and this is just a speaker’s choice?

Thank you.

Dear Rich,

we use “ma perché...” when we want to object to what has just been said  by the person we are talking to, as in  the dialogue you have mentioned where Piero is disagreeing with Gabriella, and therefore uses the adversative “ma” before the causal conjunction “perché”, just to express his disagreement  (“ma”) with Gabriella before saying the reason (“perché”) of his disagreement.

To sum up, we can say that  “ma perchè”  is used when someone is disagreeing with another  person and this is just a speaker’s choice.

Kind regards,

Italian Language

Italian is my mother tongue and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning Italian Language.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: