Italian Language/Umbria

Question
Dear Lauren,

Can you please tell me if the name of the Italian region "Umbria" has an English version.  

This is confusing to me because some Italian regions such as "Toscana" have an English name version - "Tuscany".

Is there any special reason why this occurs?  

Should an English native speaker use a mix of Italian names and English names when speaking in English?  Or, should I always try to use the Italian names when speaking in English?  I don't know what the proper etiquette should be.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

It is my understanding that the only Italian regions and even cities to have English translations tend to be those that are most well-known and popular. As Toscana is a very popular resort for tourists, the translation would have emerged over time to Tuscany. However, Umbria is less known and thus remains in Italian. Sicily is also another popular region, hence the translation from Sicilia.

So I would say that if there is an English translation to use it when speaking English as often it will backfire and people do not understand what you mean! (I once tried using Firenze to talk about Florence which was responded to with strange stares and looks of bewilderment!)

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan