Italian Language/use of "riesce difficile"

Question
Dear Maria,  

Can you please help me to understand the phrase “a me riesce difficile tradurre” that is used in the following sentence:  A me riesce difficile  tradurre  la frase N° 4  nella quale  Piero usa le congiunzioni  “but” e “however”.  

I have not been able to make a translation of this phrase.  Can you please tell me how to translate -   “a me riesce difficile tradurre”

I am wondering if “riesce difficile” is an idiomatice expression.   Can you please tell me if “riesce difficile” is idiomatic.  

Is “riesce” a form of the verb “riuscire”?

Is “difficile” being used as an adjective?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

P.S.   I have searched my reference books as well as the Internet for information about “riesce difficile” without success.  I have found  “riesce difficile” in several places on the Internet, but have not been able to translate these examples.

Answer
Dear Rich,

the phrase “a me riesce difficile tradurre” used in the sentence: “A me riesce difficile  tradurre  la frase N° 4  nella quale  Piero usa le congiunzioni  “but” e “however” can be translated as :” It’s difficult for me to  translate...”.

In the expression “riesce difficile” the present indicative, 3rd.person singular  “riesce” is just a form of the verb “riuscire”, while  “difficile” is being used as an adjective.

See also:” Mi riesce difficile crederti” (It’s difficult for me to believe you); “Questo mi riesce nuovo” (This is new to me) ; “Gli riusciva intollerabile credere alla colpevolezza dell’amico” (It was unbearable to him to believe the guilt of his friend”), “Riesce simpatico a tutti” (He is  liked by everybody);  “Non mi riuscì facile trovarti”, etc.

In short, when the verb “riuscire” is followed by an adjective, it corresponds to the verb “essere” followed by an adjective, and therefore the phrase “Mi riesce difficile  tradurre“ stands for “Mi è difficile tradurre” as well as “Questo mi riesce nuovo” stands for “Questo mi è nuovo”, etc.

To conclude, the verb “riuscire” followed by an adjective is an idiomatic use of this verb which has many other meanings, according to different contexts.

Best regards,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria