Italian Language/"visto" or "veduto"

Dear Lauren,

Can you please tell me when I should use the past participle - "visto" (seen), and when I should use the past participle - "veduto" (seen).  

Does it matter which is used?

Thank you very much.

Hi Rich,

Nice to hear from you again!

Both 'visto' and 'veduto' are completely interchangable. I personally prefer the use of 'visto' but that choice is completely up to you. To me, 'veduto' sounds a little more poetic and typical of literary prose whereas 'visto' would have more use in everyday conversation.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan