Italian Language/"a" and "per"

Question
Dear Maria,  

Thank you for your help with my previous question.  I now understand that the preposition “per” must be used after the verb “presequire” and that “per” indicates motion towards a destination.

But, I have also learned in the past that the preposition “a” can be used to say  - “Vado a Roma” (I’m going to Rome) which is also indicating motion towards a destination.     

Therefore, I am a bit confused why a person cannot say - “Proseguiamo a Genova” (which I now know is completely wrong)  or “Vado per Roma”.

I am wondering if just to say that “per” is used to indicate motion towards a place or to say that “a” is used to indicate motion towards a place are true statements, but are also not complete statements.

Is it more correct to say that both “per” and “a” can be used to indicate motion towards a place, but that which preposition to use in any particular sentence also depends on the verb?  In other words is “per” the dependent preposition for “prosequire” when talking about motion towards a place, but is “a” the dependent preposition for “andare” when talking about motion towards a place?

If this is correct, would I also be correct to assume that saying -  “Vado per Roma” is wrong?

Thank you so much for your help with this question.  Prepositions may be small words, but I am finding out more and more that they are not easy words to use correctly.  Your help is making this possible for me!!  Again - thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

first of all I have to point out that, apart from some general rules, it is a specific verb that determines which preposition we have to use.

For example, it is the verb “proseguire” that takes the preposition “per” just to indicate motion towards a destination as in “Proseguiamo per Genova”, while it is the verb “andare” that needs the preposition “a” to indicate motion towards a destination, as in “Vado a Roma”.

Therefore, both  “Proseguiamo a Genova”  and “Vado per Roma” are absolutely wrong, just because “ to say that “per” is used to indicate motion towards a place or to say that “a” is used to indicate motion towards a place are true statements, but are also not complete statements”, as you say.

In fact, it is more correct to say that both “per” and “a” can be used to indicate motion towards a place, but that which preposition to use in any particular sentence depends on the verb.

In other words  “per” is the dependent preposition for “proseguire” when talking about motion towards a place, but “a” is the dependent preposition for “andare” when talking about motion towards a place.

I really know that  prepositions may be small words, but  they are not easy words to use correctly, but hope that  my help can  make this possible for you.

All the best,
Maria  

Italian Language

Maria