Italian Language/articles

Question
Dear Maria,

Thank you, once again, for all of your help.

The computer course that I am using to study Italian includes the following examples of using the definite article before items of clothing:

Una donna porta il vestito.

Gli uomini portano il cappello.

La donna porta il cappello.

La donna porta la gonna.,

La donna porta il vestito.

L置omo porta il cappello.

L置oma porta il cappotto.

Io porto la gonna.

Chi ha il cappello?

La donna ha il cappello.

Chi porta il cappello?

Noi portiamo il cappello.

Would you please tell me if you agree that the above sentences are correct uses of the definite article before items of clothing.

I have been having a difficult time understanding when to use the definite article as opposed to using the indefinite article  before items of clothing.  I think that it would help me very much to know if the indefinite article could have been used instead of the definite article in the above sentences.  

Would you please tell me if the following sentences would be considered acceptable in Italian.

Una donna porta un vestito.

Gli uomini portano un cappello.

La donna porta un cappello.

La donna porta una gonna.

La donna porta un vestito.

L置omo porta un cappello.

L置oma porta un cappotto.

Io porto una gonna.

Chi ha un cappello?

La donna ha un cappello.

Chi porta un cappello?

Noi portiamo un cappello.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

Either the sentences that use the definite article before items of clothing or the sentences where the indefinite article has been used instead of the definite article before items of clothing are correct and can be helpful as an exercise to learn when to use the definite article/indefinite article  before items of clothing.

Best regards,

Maria
_____________________________________________________________________________
P.S. There is a  misspelling in "L置oma porta un/il cappotto" as the correct sentence would be "L'uomo porta un/il cappotto"

Italian Language

Maria