Italian Language/ascoltare

Question
Dear Lauren,

Would you please tell me if the following translation is correct:

Il bambino ascolta.
The boy listens.    or    The boy is listening.

I thought that the verb “ascoltare” meant “to listen to”.   

Can “ascoltare” also be translated as “to listen”  - without including the preposition “to”?

Therefore, does "ascoltare" mean either "to listen to"  or  "to listen" -  depending on context?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

'Ascoltare' can mean both 'to listen' and 'to listen to' depending on whether it is followed by a direct object or not.

So in your example above, it is simply 'il bambino ascolta' so it would not make sense to translate this as 'the boy listens to' but rather 'the boy listens.' However, if we were to add 'il bambino ascolta la music', this would automatically change the translation to 'the boy listens to music' as we know that is semantically incorrect to say 'the boy listens music.'

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan