Italian Language/chi as a direct object and as a indirect object

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the following sentence:
“Whom did you consult?”

Can you please tell me how to say this sentence in Italian.

I am thinking that the word “whom” is being used as a direct object in this English sentence.  I am trying to learn how to say this direct object in Italian, and  I do not know how to use “chi” as a direct object in Italian.

Can you please also verify that “a chi” is being used as an indirect object in the following sentence:
“A chi scrivi?”
To whom are you writing?

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

“Whom did you consult?” corresponds to “Chi hai consultato?” (2nd.person singular)  /”Chi avete consultato?” (2nd.person plural) / “Chi [Lei] ha consultato?” (formal pronoun),depending on whether you are addressing to 1)a person you are familiar with 2)more than only one person 3)a person you are not familiar with.

As you say, the pronoun  “whom” is being used as a direct object in the English sentence “Whom did you consult?” and the same happens in Italian where we use  the indeclinable interrogative pronoun “chi” as a direct object  as well as a subject.
See for example:” Chi hai visto?” (direct object), ”Chi verrà domani?” (subject), “Chi potrà aiutarci?” (subject), “Chi chiamerai domani?”(direct object).

Such a pronoun can also be used as an indirect object in “A chi scrivi?”(To whom are you writing?) or “Di chi parli?”, “Con chi sei andato al cinema?”, “Da chi sei stato aiutato?”, “Per chi voterai?” where "chi" is always preceded by a preposition.

Hope this is clear enough.

Best,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria