Italian Language/elision of direct object pronoun - lo

Dear Lauren,

Would you please tell me if I have correctly translated the following sentence:

“Amo la musica e spesso l’ascolto con te.”
I love music and often listen to it with you.

Can you also please tell me if -  “l’ascolto” is an elided form of the direct object pronoun “lo” (it) with the verb “ascolto” (I listen to).    If “yes”, can you please tell me if the direct object pronoun “lo” always elides before verb forms starting with a vowel.

Thank you very much.

Hi Rich,

Yes you are correct - the translation is 'I love music and often listen to it with you.'

The 'o' of 'lo' (the direct object pronoun) has been elided as the following verb starts with a vowel. It will always be elided in this case, however it is a personal choice whether this is marked down when writing or not. So it would be equally acceptable to write 'lo ascolto' although it would be understood that when pronouncing, one would automatically elide the 'o' and the sound would blend into the following word to sound like 'l'ascolto'

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan