Italian Language/fare una fotografia and scattare una foto

Question
Dear Lauren,  

Thank you, again, for your help with my previous  questions.  

Can you please tell me if the abbreviation “foto” must only be used with “scattare” as in “scattare una foto"?  Or, can "scattare una fotografia" also be used?

Also, can only the complete word “fotografia” be used with “fare” as in “fare una fotografia”?  Or, can "fare una foto" also be used?

In other words -  is it incorrect to say:  “fare una foto”  and  “scattare una fotografia" ?

Thank you.  

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

Both 'foto' and 'fotografia' are interchangeable with both the verbs 'scattare' and 'fare,'. As I am sure you have gathered, 'foto' is an abbreviated version and thus is the one that you are most likely to hear being used by Italians. That is the reason that I wrote that instead of 'fotografia' but they are both equally correct.

At least in British English (I am not sure how it will be in America) but we hardly ever say, "Shall we take a photograph?" preferring to use "photo" as it sounds far less formal. This is the same with Italians.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan