Italian Language/"figli" and "figlie"

Question
Dear Lauren,

Would you please tell me if I am correct in thinking that the word “figli” in a masculine plural noun that can mean both:   “sons”    and   “children”.

Would you please also tell me of I am correct in thinking that the word -   “figlie” , is a feminine plural noun that means   -   “daughters”.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

Yes you are correct. 'Figli' means 'sons' as well as 'children' and 'figlie' means daughter.

Due to the rules of Italian, if there a group of say 100 children and the majority of them were female and just a handful of males, 'figli' would still be used. I suppose this still harps back to the days of machism etc and it will be interesting to note in the future how things change...

I have already noted in classrooms for example that whereas teachers used to refer to the whole class as 'ragazzi', in these days of political correctness, they are very careful to add 'e ragazze' now!

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan