Italian Language/indirect objects

Hi Lauren

Can you please tell me if it would be acceptable to say:

Sono andato a piedi al lavoro.
I walked to work.

Or, is -  “Sono andato al lavoro a piedi” the only correct way to say  - “I walked to work”.   

I am thinking that “piedi” and “lavoro” are both indirect objects in this sentence.  Would you please tell me if this is correct or not.

Also, is there any special rule that I should know for deciding which indirect object is placed first?

Thank you again for your patience and help.

Hi Rich,

'A piedi' and 'al lavoro' are both indirect objects in the above sentence and to be honest, their positions are interchangeable.

I preferred to put 'a piedi' after the verb 'andare' as I feel that it flows better and it is preferable to keep the verb together with its object. Although not incorrect the other way, it may be used less.

You may have heard a similar debate in English regarding the use of split infinitives. The example always highlighted is the Star Trek 'to boldly go'. Should we really be placing such an adverb in between the verb? Again although not strictly incorrect, it can be frowned upon a little! Just a anecdote to think of :)

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan