Italian Language/how to say: "to take a picture"

Question
Dear Lauren,  

Can you please tell me the correct way to say:   “to take a picture”.

I found the following sentence in the novel that I am reading:
“Puo prendere una fotografia di me con mia moglie?”

I think this would be translated as:
Can you take a photograph of me with my wife?

Can you please tell me if “prendere una fotografia” is the correct way to say “to take a picture”  in this context.   I could not find this use of “prendere” in my dictionary.  

But, I did find “fare una fotografia” listed in my dictionary as meaning - “to take a picture”

Are both ways correct?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

Funnily enough, the expression that I most commonly use is actually 'scattare una foto' but I guess it completely depends on personal preference.

Likewise, as you have pointed out, the verb 'fare' can also be used and is probably the most common way to say it.

I must admit that the use of 'prendere' in this context is new to me and I can't help but feel that it sounds very much like a literal translation of the English 'to take' rather than an expression that Italians would really use. I am not sure what book it is that you are reading but I would suggest staying clear of this particular usage and sticking to either 'scattare' or 'fare'. The translation you have given above is correct, however.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan