Italian Language/Stressed Pronouns

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the use of the Italian stressed pronouns (sometimes called disjunctive pronouns in English).

I have been trying to develop a better understanding of these stressed pronouns.  To test my understanding, would you please tell me if the following is correct or not.

Italian stressed pronouns are used as either indirect object pronouns in Italian or as direct object pronouns in Italian.

When an Italian stressed pronoun is used after a preposition - the stressed pronoun is being used as an indirect object.   For example, in “voglio bene a te” – the stressed pronoun “te” is being used as an indirect object pronoun.  This indirect object pronoun translates into English as an object of the preposition.  For example “a te” in “voglio bene a te” translates into English as “for you”.    “voglio bene a te” would then literally translate as “I want well for you”.

When an Italian stressed pronoun in used after a verb, the stressed pronoun is used as either a direct object or as an indirect object depending on which Italian verb it follows.  For example, in “amo lui” the stressed pronoun “lui” is being used as a direct object, and “amo lui” would translate into English as “I love him”.   But, in “cercavo te”  - the stressed pronoun “te” is being used as an indirect object pronoun and “cercavo te” would translate into English as “I was looking for you”.

Thank you so much for helping me by reading the above.  I hope that what I have written is correct. If it is not, would you please tell me what needs to be changed.

I very much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

here are my remarks on the use of the Italian stressed pronouns.
So,it is correct to say :

1)Italian stressed pronouns are used as either indirect object pronouns or as direct object pronouns.

2)When an Italian stressed pronoun is used after a preposition, the stressed pronoun is being used as an indirect object.   
For example, in “Voglio bene a te”  the stressed pronoun “te” is being used as an indirect object pronoun.  
But it is not always true that this indirect object pronoun translates into English as an object of the preposition, as it depends on the verb you are using in English.
For example, “a te” in “Voglio bene a te” translates into English as “ you” (direct object), since “Voglio bene a te” literally translates as “I love you”, not “I want well for you”.
In Italian, in fact, “voler bene a qualcuno” can be a synonym of “amare qualcuno”, i.e. “to love someone”.

3)When an Italian stressed pronoun in used after a verb, the stressed pronoun is used as a direct object as it follows a transitive verb.
For example, in “Amo lui” the stressed pronoun “lui” is being used as a direct object, and “Amo lui” would translate into English as “I love him”.
Also, in “Cercavo te”  the stressed pronoun “te” is being used as a direct object pronoun, though this direct object pronoun  must be translated into English as “I was looking for you”, since “cercare qualcuno” corresponds to “to look for someone” where “someone” is an indirect object in English, but not in Italian.

In short, an Italian stressed pronoun can correspond in English to either a direct object or an indirect object, according to the English verb you are using in the translation from Italian to English.

Hope this helps you.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria