Italian Language/use of "altro" "altra" "altrI' and "altre" as pronouns

Question
Dear Lauren,

Would you please tell me if I have correctly translated the following sentence:

“Ascoltai con gli altri le parole del conferenziere.”
I listened with the others to the words of the speaker.

I am especially wondering about the use of the word “altri” in this sentence.  

Can you please tell me if “altri” is being used as a pronoun that means “others” in this sentence.   

Is there such a thing as a pronoun form of “altro” (other) that can be inflected as “altra” (other) , “altri” (others)  and ”altre” (others).

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

Yes - the translation is 'I listened with the others to the words of the speaker.'

It is also possible to use the other pronoun forms 'altro' 'altra' and 'altre' depending on your meaning in the sentence you are saying.

Again, this is quite similar to another question that you asked me a few days ago. The group of people that the person listened to the speaker with were either made up entirely of men or there were both men and women so the masculine 'altri' was used. If the group was entirely made up of females, we would use 'le altre'

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan