Italian Language/use of "altro" "altra" "altrI' and "altre" as pronouns

Dear Lauren,

Would you please tell me if I have correctly translated the following sentence:

“Ascoltai con gli altri le parole del conferenziere.”
I listened with the others to the words of the speaker.

I am especially wondering about the use of the word “altri” in this sentence.  

Can you please tell me if “altri” is being used as a pronoun that means “others” in this sentence.   

Is there such a thing as a pronoun form of “altro” (other) that can be inflected as “altra” (other) , “altri” (others)  and ”altre” (others).

Thank you very much.

Hi Rich,

Yes - the translation is 'I listened with the others to the words of the speaker.'

It is also possible to use the other pronoun forms 'altro' 'altra' and 'altre' depending on your meaning in the sentence you are saying.

Again, this is quite similar to another question that you asked me a few days ago. The group of people that the person listened to the speaker with were either made up entirely of men or there were both men and women so the masculine 'altri' was used. If the group was entirely made up of females, we would use 'le altre'

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan