Italian Language/use of: “Che cos’è?

Question
Dear Lauren,

Would you please help me with the following sentence: Che cos’è?

Is the literal translation of this sentence as follows:  “What thing is it?”   but, a better sounding English rendition would be  - “What is it?”

Would you also please tell me if the following is correct or not:

Che cos’è?

che  =  interrogative pronoun meaning “what”
cos’è  =  elision of cosa and è
cosa  =  feminine  noun meaning “thing”
è   =  verb meaning “it is”

If you don’t mind one last question  -  Is “Che cos’è?” the most commonly used  way that Italians ask “What is it?”  or is there a better way that I should know and use?

Thank you very, very much.  I very much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

I don't know if you have come across the structure before but in Italian, there are several choices in how to express 'what' in the interrogative. We can say the most common 'che', the less common 'cosa' or a combination of the two: 'che cosa' which I imagine used to be the most frequently used and then gradually got cut down to 'che' over the years as usually happens with language.

Therefore, 'Che cos’è?' is simply 'what is it?' and is the most commonly used way of saying it in Italian. In informal situations, I have also heard 'cos’è?'. However in this case, although not incorrect, I would suggest not using 'che è'. The sound of the two similar 'e' sounds together really grates on the ears and there is definite need for a different vowel or consonant sound to break it up. Hence, 'Che cos’è?' or 'cos’è?'

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan