Italian Language/Use of: "Eccoci qua!"

Dear Lauren,  

Would you please help me to understand the following sentence:
“Domenic!  Eccoci qua!”

I found this sentence in a novel that I am reading.  The context of the above sentence is that an elderly Italian American man and his family have gone home to visit Italy after having lived in New York City for 50 years.  Domenic is this man’s cousin.

I am wondering why “qua” is included in this sentence.  Doesn’t “Eccoci” mean “Here we are”

I am confused because “Eccoci qua” appears to mean  -  “Here we are here!”

Do Italians actually say “Eccoci qua!”  ?

Thank you again for all of your patience and help with my many questions.

Hi Rich,

'Eccoci qua' is a common figurative sentence used in Italy to simply mean 'Here we all are!'. I remember it fondly from university when my professor used to walk into the classroom and greet us all with 'Eccoci qua!' This was the first time I had ever heard it and since, I have often heard it as a greeting much in the same way as 'hello' or 'hi' when bumping into somebody in the street.

Italians could simply just say 'eccoci' which does more or less have the same meaning but it could be understood as both 'siamo qui' or 'stiamo arrivando.' By adding the 'qua', we know for sure that the only meaning understood is 'siamo qui.'

This expression is very friendly and if you wanted to use similar in a formal situation, it would be better to simply say 'siamo qui.'

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan