Italian Language/use of Italian disjunctive pronoun -

QUESTION: Dear Lauren,  

I hope you will not mind another question about the following sentence:

“Puo prendere una fotografia di me con mia moglie?”

I think this would be translated as:
Can you take a photograph of me with my wife?

Can you please tell me if the disjunctive pronoun “me” is  used correctly in the Italian sentence.

Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Rich,

Yes the translation would be 'Can you take a photograph of me with my wife?' but again the sentence is a little clumsy.

It would be far more common to hear 'mi puo prendere una foto,' thus avoiding the disjunctive 'me.'

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

QUESTION: Dear Lauren,  
Would I be correct in thinking that “mi” is an indirect object pronoun in the following sentence:

“Mi puo scattare una foto con mia moglie?”

I sometimes have a difficult time distinguishing when “mi” is being used as an indirect object pronoun as opposed to “mi” being used as a direct object pronoun.

Thank you

Hi Rich,

Yes you are correct. Mi is being used as an indirect object pronoun in the sentence example.

If you think of this sentence in terms of an English translation, we could not say 'can you take a photograph me?' We would have to add the preposition 'of'. In the case of the Italian sentence, the indirect 'mi' is working in much the same way, having the effect of 'di me' which would sound a little clumsy and unnatural (although not incorrect) when used in Italian.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan