Italian Language/use of Italian disjunctive pronoun -

Question
QUESTION: Dear Lauren,  

I hope you will not mind another question about the following sentence:

“Puo prendere una fotografia di me con mia moglie?”

I think this would be translated as:
Can you take a photograph of me with my wife?

Can you please tell me if the disjunctive pronoun “me” is  used correctly in the Italian sentence.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

ANSWER: Hi Rich,

Yes the translation would be 'Can you take a photograph of me with my wife?' but again the sentence is a little clumsy.

It would be far more common to hear 'mi puo prendere una foto,' thus avoiding the disjunctive 'me.'

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

QUESTION: Dear Lauren,  

Would I be correct in thinking that “mi” is an indirect object pronoun in the following sentence:

“Mi puo scattare una foto con mia moglie?”

I sometimes have a difficult time distinguishing when “mi” is being used as an indirect object pronoun as opposed to “mi” being used as a direct object pronoun.

Thank you

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

Yes you are correct. Mi is being used as an indirect object pronoun in the sentence example.

If you think of this sentence in terms of an English translation, we could not say 'can you take a photograph me?' We would have to add the preposition 'of'. In the case of the Italian sentence, the indirect 'mi' is working in much the same way, having the effect of 'di me' which would sound a little clumsy and unnatural (although not incorrect) when used in Italian.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan