Italian Language/use of "spingere"

Question
Dear Lauren,

Can you please help me to understand why one must use the verb “spingere” in the following sentence instead of using “camminare” or “andare a piedi”

Rich ha spinto la bici sulla collina.
Rich pushed the bike on the hill.  (Rich walked the bike up the hill)

I find this so interesting, and I also think I would remember much better if I understood why this is so.

Thank you very much for your patience with my many questions on this topic.

Very Sincerely,

Rich.

Answer
Hi Rich,

Although we don't tend to think of these things in English, the use of 'walk' in the above sentence is actually metaphorical. Although effectively, one is walking a bike up the hill, the actual action being carried out is the owner pushing the bike.

In Italian, to use either the verbs 'camminare' or 'andare a piedi' would imply that the bike is personified, has its own legs and thus is capable of walking up the hill itself! Therefore, to retain the same meaning as in English, we must change the verb to more literal 'spingere' meaning 'to push' as this is the actual action being carried out.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan