Italian Language/use of suffix "otto"

Question
Dear Lauren,  

Can you please tell me if –otto is a suffix in the word “poliziotto”  (policeman)

If “yes”-  is the root word supposed to be “polizia”  (police)

Is the suffix “otto”  used to convey the meaning of “smallness”?
If "yes" I am confused why "otto" would be used to describe a policeman.

Thank you very, very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

The suffix -otto does usually mean 'small' but in this case, it has a slightly ironic use aimed at giving the police a derogatory reputation by playing down their size. So rather than saying the neutral 'polizia', 'poliziotto' gives them a more negative spin equivalent to 'the cop' or 'the fuzz' in English.

Italian has several suffixes that are used quite often and they are well worth remembering:

As well as 'otto' for small, you can also use ino/a/i/e, -etto/a/i/e, -ello/a/i/e, and -uccio, -uccia, -ucci, -ucce

one/-ona for largeness

-accio, -accia, -acci, and -acce for badness or ugliness (hence parolaccia for swearword)

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan