Italian Language/common expressions of place

Question
Dear Maria,  

Just to make sure that I understand correctly, would you please tell me if the following sentences are correct or not:

Lei è in negozio.
She is in the store.

Lei è nel negozio della parrucchiera.
She is in the hairdresser’s shop.

I am trying to make sure that I am correct in thinking that the simple preposition “in” is used with a common expression of place such as  -  “negozio”;  but that when “negozio” is further modified by a complemento such as in saying -  “negozio della parrucchiera” that the definite article must be included resulting in the use of the articulated article “nel” as shown in the second example above.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

you are correct in thinking that the simple preposition “in” is used with a common expression of place such as “negozio” as shown in “Lei è in negozio".

Also, you are right in thinking that, when “negozio” is further modified by a "complemento" such as in saying “negozio della parrucchiera”, the definite article must be included resulting in the use of the articulated article “nel” as shown in “Lei è nel negozio della parrucchiera”.

Have a nice weekend,

Maria  

Italian Language

Maria